In the January 2017 edition of the New Heights Newsletter, Pastor Dan gives his reflections on the New Year, there’s upcoming Church events, and more!
NEW HEIGHTS REFLECTIONS: Let’s make a New Year’s Resolution for God!
2017 is here! It’s a New Year and many of us are thinking about making resolutions. A New Year’s resolution means that we commit to improve or better ourselves in some way. As a pastor, I especially like when people make a spiritual resolution. I get excited when people do anything to improve their lives and relationship with Jesus. In fact, drawing nearer to Jesus is the key to making any change in our lives that allows us to act more like our Savior and less like our self-centered, ego-driven self.
A great example in the Bible of a person who had a close, intimate relationship with God is David. There are several passages where we can see David living in a way to be closer to God. Let’s look at some examples:
1. David prayed daily. Psalm 55:17 “Morning, noon, and night I cry out in my distress, and the Lord hears my voice“
2. David realized that God had blessed him. Psalm 68:19“Praise the Lord; praise God our savior! For each day he carries us in his arms.”
3. He praised God daily. Psalm 72:15 “Long live the king! May the gold of Sheba be given to him. May the people always pray for him and bless him all day long.”
4. David realized that he needed God daily. Psalm 56:1-4 “O God, have mercy on me, for people are hounding me. My foes attack me all day long. 2 I am constantly hounded by those who slander me, and many are boldly attacking me. 3But when I am afraid, I will put my trust in you. 4I praise God for what he has promised. I trust in God, so why should I be afraid? What can mere mortals do to me?”
This New Year, let’s all resolve to live better for God, day by day, hour by hour, moment by moment and that will add up to our best for Him not only for this new year but for our entire lives as well. – Pastor Dan
UPCOMING CHURCH EVENTS:
- Potluck Dinner and Bible Study with Mt Bethel Church – Wednesday evening January 4th at 6:00 pm in the fellowship hall at Mt Bethel Church located at 3239 70th Street E in Inver Grove Heights. Both churches will join together to share a potluck dinner followed by a Bible study on the Book of Ephesians by Pastor Dan – this month it’s chapter 4. You are encouraged to bring a dish to share with others and invite a friend.
- Men’s Discipleship Breakfast - Saturday January 14th at 8:00 am at Sunlight Restaurant located at the corner of Marie and 7th Avenue in South St Paul. Come join the men of New Heights for a great time of food, fellowship and learning how to be a better disciple of Jesus Christ!
- Teen Challenge Service – Sunday January 15 at 10:00 am in the worship center at Mt Bethel Church. Teen Challenge, a Christian ministry that helps the young struggling with addictions to freedom in Jesus will be putting on our worship service. There will be powerful testimonies of lives transformed by the power of Jesus. We’ll be joining the congregation of Mt Bethel for this exciting opportunity!
- Steps to Financial Freedom: Free Seminar on Managing Personal Finances - 6:30 to 8:00 pm Mondays January 23 to March 20 at Mt Bethel United Methodist Church located at 3239 70th Street East in Inver Grove Heights. Learn how to set up your own financial plan and stick to it. Communicate about money with your spouse without fighting. Get out of debt and stay out! Face uncertain economic times with confidence.
Join us for a 9-week seminar using materials from Dave Ramsey, popular national radio talk show host and author of New York Times best-sellers “The Total Money Makeover“, “Financial Peace Revisited“, and “More than Enough“. Facilitators are Dan & Marsha Schauer. Cost is free but pre-registration is required. Seminar is sponsored by New Heights Community Church and Mt Bethel United Methodist Church. Free childcare available during seminar with pre-registration (space limited). For more information or to register for the seminar call (651) 451-3636 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Annual Church Meeting – Sunday January 29th after church. We’ll eat lunch together, hear ministry reports, vote on Elders and our 2017 budget, and more!
We at New Heights believe strongly that our small group Bible studies will deepen your understanding of God’s Word and give you an opportunity to ask questions and apply the Bible to your life. We also spend time each week praying for each other’s needs. Our small groups are also a place where you can meet new people and form deep and meaningful relationships that can encourage and uplift you. We have 3 Bible studies to choose from:
- Tuesday evenings at 6:30 pm at various homes in Hastings led by Pastor Sherry (651) 276-9127. This group meets every other week and may at times move to another weekday evening so be sure to contact Pastor Sherry before attending.
- Thursday evenings at 6:30 pm at Pastor Dan & Marsha’s home led by Pastor Dan (651) 216-0923. Childcare is available for this group.
- Wednesday evening Dinner & Bible Study - Meets the first Wednesday of each month at 6:00 pm at Mt Bethel church located at 3249 70th Street in Inver Grove Heights. Both churches will join together to share a potluck dinner followed by a Bible study from Pastor David and Pastor Dan. The next meeting is Wednesday January 4th with Pastor Dan leading.
Get involved in a Bible study today!
YOUTH GROUP NEWS:
We are excited about what God will do in 2017 with our youth group! Our Youth Group is for students in grades 6-12. We meet on Sundays after church and also do periodic fun activities. For more information contact: Pastor Sherry at (651) 276-9127
We have an exciting Children’s ministry program planned for 2017 at New Heights! We believe the Christian education of our children in solid, biblical instruction is of the utmost importance. It can make a difference not only in our children’s eternal destiny but in those they affect during their lifetimes. We offer the following children’s classes held during our Sunday worship service:
Nursery: newborn through 3 years old
Little Lambs: 4 year olds through 1st Grade
Sonshine Kids: 2nd Grade through 5th grade
NEW YEAR’S QUOTES:
“A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step” – Chinese Proverb
“Write it on your heart that every day is the best day of the year!” - Ralph Waldo Emerson
“You are never too old to set a another goal or dream a new dream” – C. S. Lewis