In this edition of the New Heights Newsletter, Pastor Dan reflects on who is coming this Christmas, there are upcoming church events, and more!
NEW HEIGHTS REFLECTIONS: “Do You Know Who’s Coming?”
Isaiah the Prophet gave several great prophecies about the coming Messiah to Judah over 700 years before the birth of Jesus happened. One example of his prophecies is Isaiah 9:6 where it says, “For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders. And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.” (NIV).
Advent is a time where we are to prepare ourselves for the coming birth of the Christ child. But do we really know who this child is? In this passage, Isaiah gives us a remarkable 4-part description of this coming child. He is called “Wonderful Counselor,” “Mighty God,” “Everlasting Father,” and “Prince of Peace.” Let’s look at each of these four in more detail:
First, Jesus is our “Wonderful Counselor.” In the first chapter of John, he tells us that Jesus is the divine “Word” and that he became flesh and dwelt among us. The Word of God is given to us in the Bible. In this book, Jesus gives us all the advice and counsel we need to live according to God’s purposes in this life.
Second, Jesus is our “Mighty God.” He is able to accomplish all His purposes in this world. He is all-powerful, all-knowing, and present everywhere. There is nothing too difficult for Jesus to accomplish in our lives and our world. As it says in Mark 10:27, “All things are possible with God.”
Third, Jesus is our “Everlasting Father.” Jesus can be counted on to be there for us no matter what we go through. Romans 8 tells us that Jesus will never leave us or forsake us. Also, Jesus gives us assurance of eternal life. He is everlasting and so we also will have eternal life with God if we put our faith and trust in Jesus as our Lord and Savior.
And finally, Jesus is our “Prince of Peace.” A disciple of Jesus has an inner peace and joy that nothing in the world can offer. The Apostle Paul said while chained in prison in Philippians 4:11 that he had “learned to be content whatever the circumstances.” With Jesus as our “Prince of Peace”, we can have this same contentment, joy, and peace no matter what our circumstances. Jesus, our Prince of Peace, also offers us hope of a future without violence, war and strife where tears will no longer be shed.
Do you know who’s coming this Christmas? His name is Jesus Christ, Emmanuel – God with us. He is our Counselor! He is Mighty! He is Everlasting! And He is our Peace! Jesus Christ is far and away the most amazing person you will ever meet. Let’s all prepare our hearts for His coming this Christmas and every other day of our life.
- Pastor Dan
- Feed My Starving Children – Wednesday November 30 from 6:00 to 7:30 pm at their Eagan Warehouse located at 990 Lone Oak Road, Suite 136 in Eagan. We’re joining the people of Mt Bethel to help pack meals to be shipped overseas to feed starving kids. Sign up on the sheet on the bulletin board.
- Potluck Dinner and Bible Study with Mt Bethel Church – Wednesday evening December 7th at 6:00 pm in the fellowship hall at Mt Bethel Church located at 3239 70th Street E in Inver Grove Heights. Both churches will join together to share a potluck dinner followed by a Bible study on the Book of Ephesians – this month it’s chapter 3. You are encouraged to bring a dish to share with others.
- Men’s Discipleship Breakfast - Saturday December 10th at 8:00 am at Sunlight Restaurant located at the corner of Marie and 7th Avenue in South St Paul. Come join the men of New Heights for a great time of food, fellowship and learning how to be a better disciple of Jesus Christ!
- Christmas Caroling – Saturday December 17 at 3:00 pm at Woodlyn Heights Senior Care Center located just west of Hwy 52 on Upper 55th Street in Inver Grove Heights. Join us as we bring the joy of Christmas by singing carols to the residents.
- Christmas Party – Saturday December 17 at 4:30 pm at Pastor Dan & Marsha’s home located at 8146 Dawn Ave in Inver Grove Heights. This party includes dinner and our annual Christmas gift exchange (bring a wrapped gift of $10 value)
- Teen Challenge Service – Sunday January 15 at 10:00 am in the worship center at Mt Bethel Church. Teen Challenge, a Christian ministry that helps the young struggling with addictions to freedom in Jesus will be putting on our worship service. There will be powerful testimonies of lives transformed by the power of Jesus. We’ll be joining the congregation of Mt Bethel for this exciting opportunity!
- Dave Ramsey Financial Peace University Community Seminar - Mondays at 6:30 pm starting on January 23rd at Mt Bethel Church located at 3239 70th Street East in Inver Grove Heights. Are you struggling with finances? Do you have trouble keeping your spending under control? Then this class is for you! This is a joint-church offering of Mt Bethel and New Heights Community Church. Sign up by contacting Pastor Dan at: email@example.com.
- Annual Meeting – Sunday January 29th after church. We’ll eat lunch together, hear ministry reports, vote on Elders and our 2017 budget, and more!
BIBLE STUDIES: We at New Heights believe strongly that our small group Bible studies will deepen your understanding of God’s Word and give you an opportunity to ask questions and apply the Bible to your life. We also spend time each week praying for each other’s needs. Our small groups are also a place where you can meet new people and form deep and meaningful relationships that can encourage and uplift you. We have 3 Bible studies to choose from:
- Tuesday evenings at 6:30 pm at various homes in Hastings led by Pastor Sherry (651) 276-9127. This group meets every other week and may at times move to another weekday evening so be sure to contact Pastor Sherry before attending.
- Thursday evenings at 6:30 pm at Pastor Dan & Marsha’s home led by Pastor Dan (651) 216-0923. Childcare is available for this group.
- Wednesday evening Dinner & Bible Study - Meets the first Wednesday of each month at 6:00 pm at Mt Bethel church located at 3249 70th Street in Inver Grove Heights. Both churches will join together to share a potluck dinner followed by a Bible study from Pastor David and Pastor Dan. The first meeting is Wednesday October 5th.
Get involved in a Bible study today!
YOUTH GROUP: Our youth group is for students in grades 6-12. We meet on Sundays after church and also do periodic fun activities. For more information contact: Pastor Sherry at (651) 276-9127
CHILDREN’S MINISTRY: We have an exciting Children’s ministry program at New Heights! We believe the Christian education of our children in solid, biblical instruction is of the utmost importance. It can make a difference not only in our children’s eternal destiny but in those they affect during their lifetimes. We offer the following children’s classes held during our Sunday worship service:
Nursery: newborn through 3 years old
Little Lambs: 4 year olds through 1st Grade
Sonshine Kids: 2nd Grade through 5th grade
For Christmas this year instead of doing a big Christmas Programs on one Sunday, we are doing shorter versions of a Christmas Program on each Sunday of Advent.
“I will honor Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year.” – Charles Dickens in A Christmas Carol
“Want to keep Christ in Christmas? Feed the hungry, clothe the naked, forgive the guilty, welcome the unwanted, care for the ill, love your enemies, and do unto others as you would have done unto you.” - Steve Maraboli
“I heard the bells on Christmas Day
Their old, familiar carols play,
And wild and sweet
The words repeat
Of peace on earth, good-will to men!”
― Henry Longfellow
“And when we give each other Christmas gifts in His name, let us remember that He has given us the sun and the moon and the stars, and the earth with its forests and mountains and oceans–and all that lives and move upon them. He has given us all green things and everything that blossoms and bears fruit and all that we quarrel about and all that we have misused–and to save us from our foolishness, from all our sins, He came down to earth and gave us Himself.” - Sigrid Undset