In the November 2016 edition of the New Heights Newsletter, Pastor Dan reflects on the key to happiness, there are upcoming church events and more!
NEW HEIGHTS REFLECTIONS: The Key to a Happiness
It has been said, “the key to happiness is a heart of thanksgiving” and I believe this is a profound truth. But why is this so? I think the key to understanding this insight is given by the Apostle Paul in Philippians 4:4-7 when he says, “Always be full of joy in the Lord. I say it again-rejoice! Let everyone see that you are considerate in all you do. Remember, the Lord is coming soon. Don’t worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done. If you do this, you will experience God’s peace, which is far more wonderful than the human mind can understand. His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus” (NLT). Paul encourages us to not worry. Instead he says we should bring everything to God in prayer with a heart of thanksgiving. The result of this is an inner peace that is beyond our ability to comprehend.
Why does what Paul says in these verses work in the life of an individual? I think it is because a thankful heart leads to a changed perspective on life. We humans basically have two choices: (1) look at our lives from the point of view of what we are lacking that is depriving us of true happiness, or (2) look at our lives with a heart of thanksgiving, thanking God for all the blessings He has bestowed on us. Choosing to be thankful breeds an attitude of appreciation which changes our entire outlook on life and draws us closer to God.
This Thanksgiving, this November, and every day of your life from this point on, practice having a heart of thanksgiving for all God has blessed you with. Make a conscious choice to be thankful. Resist the pressure from our culture and media to always be looking at what you are lacking. It’s just an illusion anyway. Numerous personal stories and studies show that those who have the most are among the most miserable. If this is true, then why do we continue to pursue this false illusion of happiness? True happiness comes only from a heart of thanksgiving towards God. Start living today with a heart of thanksgiving. - Pastor Dan
- Potluck Dinner and Bible Study with Mt Bethel Church – Wednesday evening November 2nd at 6:00 pm at in the Fellowship Hall at Mt Bethel Church. Both churches will join together to share a potluck dinner (bring a dish of your choice) followed by a Bible study on the Book of Ephesians – this month it’s chapter 2.
- Men’s Discipleship Breakfast - Saturday November 12 at 8:00 am at Sunlight Restaurant located at the corner of Marie and 7th Avenue in South St Paul. Come join the men of New Heights for a great time of food, fellowship and learning how to be a better disciple of Jesus Christ!
- Thanksgiving Sunday – Sunday November 20th at 10:00 am we’ll have a Thanksgiving oriented worship service followed by our annual and much anticipated Thanksgiving Potluck Dinner with Mt Bethel Church where we’ll also have the opportunity to share what we are most thankful for. Invite your F.R.A.N.s (Friends, Relatives, Associates at work or school, Neighbors) and don’t miss this annual church highlight!
- Thanksgiving Eve Service and Pie Social – Wednesday November 23rd at 6:30 pm at Mt Bethel United Methodist Church located at 3239 70th Street East in Inver Grove Heights. New Heights will be joining the congregation of Mt Bethel to offer God thanksgiving. A pie social will follow the service.
- Feed My Starving Children – Wednesday November 30 from 6:00 to 7:30 pm at their Eagan Warehouse located at 990 Lone Oak Road, Suite 136 in Eagan. We’re joining the people of Mt Bethel to help pack meals to be shipped overseas to feed starving kids. Sign up on the sheet on the bulletin board.
- Dave Ramsey Financial Peace University Community Seminar - Mondays at 6:30 pm starting on January 8th at Mt Bethel Church located at 3239 70th Street East in Inver Grove Heights. Are you struggling with finances? Do you have trouble keeping your spending under control? Then this class is for you! This is a joint-church offering of Mt Bethel and New Heights Community Church. Sign up by contacting Pastor Dan at: email@example.com.
We at New Heights believe strongly that our small group Bible studies will deepen your understanding of God’s Word and give you an opportunity to ask questions and apply the Bible to your life. We also spend time each week praying for each other’s needs. Our small groups are also a place where you can meet new people and form deep and meaningful relationships that can encourage and uplift you. We have 3 Bible studies to choose from:
- Tuesday evenings at 6:30 pm at various homes in Hastings led by Pastor Sherry (651) 276-9127. This group meets every other week and may at times move to another weekday evening so be sure to contact Pastor Sherry before attending.
- Thursday evenings at 6:30 pm at Pastor Dan & Marsha’s home led by Pastor Dan (651) 216-0923. Childcare is available for this group.
- Wednesday evening Dinner & Bible Study - Meets the first Wednesday of each month at 6:00 pm at Mt Bethel church located at 3249 70th Street in Inver Grove Heights. Both churches will join together to share a potluck dinner followed by a Bible study from Pastor David and Pastor Dan. Our next meeting is Wednesday November 2nd.
We have an exciting Children’s ministry program at New Heights! We believe the Christian education of our children in solid, biblical instruction is of the utmost importance. It can make a difference not only in our children’s eternal destiny but in those they affect during their lifetimes. We offer the following children’s classes held during our Sunday worship service:
Nursery: newborn through 3 years old
Little Lambs: 4 year olds through 1st Grade
Sonshine Kids: 2nd Grade through 5th grade
Our youth group is for students in grades 6-12. We meet on Sundays after church and also do periodic fun activities. For more information contact Pastor Sherry at (651) 276-9127.
“Be thankful for what you have. Your life, no matter how bad you think it is, is someone else’s fairy tale.” - Wale Ayeni
“Not what we say about our blessings, but how we use them, is the true measure of our thanksgiving.” – W. T. Purkiser
“It is not happy people who are thankful but thankful people who are happy.”
“Give thanks to the Lord for He is good. His love endures forever. ” Psalm 107:1