In the July edition of the New Heights Newsletter, Pastor Dan reflects on summer vacation, there are upcoming church events and more!
NEW HEIGHTS REFLECTION: God’s Summer Vacation?
Marsha, Nathan and I are leaving Friday for our summer vacation. We’re going to Glacier National Park. We’re looking forward to some time of relaxation and adventure in God’s beautiful wilderness to recharge our physical, mental and spiritual batteries for the work God has for us ahead.
I hope you are all enjoying your summer too. Our summers in Minnesota are short so many of us try to squeeze the most out of them while we can. Vacations are important and deserved but remember that for a Christian there should be no such thing as a spiritual vacation! Church attendance typically drops 25-30% in Minnesota during the summer. This should not be! Remember, God does not take a vacation from caring, guiding and loving us during the summer. Romans 8:38-39 says, “And I am convinced that nothing can ever separate us from God’s love. Neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither our fears for today nor our worries about tomorrow—not even the powers of hell can separate us from God’s love. 39No power in the sky above or in the earth below—indeed, nothing in all creation will ever be able to separate us from the love of God that is revealed in Christ Jesus our Lord” (NLT). We should not take a vacation from God and His Son Jesus’ Body – the church. Nor should we ever take a vacation from daily time in prayer and God’s Word. So enjoy our short Minnesota summer, but enjoy the Lord our God even more!
- Pastor Dan
- Joint Worship Service with Mt Bethel – On Sunday July 3rd at 10:00 am, New Heights will join the congregation of Mt Bethel Church for a joint worship service. Members of each congregation will participate. Don’t miss this exciting opportunity for both congregations to worship together in the unity of Christ (John 17).
- Men’s Discipleship Breakfast – Saturday July 16th at 8:00 am at Sunlight Restaurant located near the corner of 7th Avenue & Marie in South St Paul. Join the men of New Heights as we enjoy great food, fellowship and the opportunity to be challenged to grow as a disciple of Jesus Christ.
- Camp JIM (Jesus Is Mine) – Jr High (grades 7-9) summer camp is July 24-29. Camp JIM is located on a beautiful lake outside of Brainard MN. The Brimmers who our church supports, helps run Camp JIM. You can sign your kid up at www.campjim.org.
- Night to Unite - Tuesday August 2nd from 6:00 to 8:00 pm here at Mt Bethel Church. We’ll be joining the people of Mt Bethel in serving hot dogs and root beer floats, taking prayer requests, and getting to know our neighbors in the community better. There will also be visits by the police and fire departments of IGH. Let Pastor Dan know if you would like to participate.
- Back To School Bash - Saturday August 20th from 11:00 am to 1:00 pm at St Patrick’s Church located at 3535 72nd St E in IGH. The BTSB is a community wide event put on by the churches of Inver Grove to give away backpacks stuffed with school supplies for families in need. Donations of school supplies and volunteers are needed. See Pastor Dan for more information.
- Megan is collecting donations in the jar by the refreshments to be used to buy equipment for the Behavioral Specialist for the South St Paul School District. Please donate today!
- New Heights is looking for nursery help. We could structure this position as fulfillment of community service hours or as an internship for those interested in a childcare career. See Elisha for more info.
YOUTH GROUP UPDATE:
On Sunday June 26 after church, Pastor Sherry took out youth group to Valley Fair on Sunday June 26th after church. They had a great time enjoying the wonderful weather, each other, and the exciting rides. Don’t forget to register your child for Camp JIM (grades 7-9) from July 24-29 near Brainerd. Contact Pastor Sherry for more information.
Our small group Bible studies are on summer break but that doesn’t mean there is nothing going on. Get in contact with your group leader for summer BBQ’s and other get togethers. We’re looking forward to our groups reconvening in September!